Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Shutdown

Well, out of the three goals that I set for myself last Thursday, I accomplished zero. I continued on to do nothing for the next two days, as well... leaving me with one week gone and zero progress made. While I am not happy with this, I am not going to beat myself up over it. This weekend was busy, being Memorial Day Weekend and all. My father needed my help doing some work at the house; I had a couple of bbq's to attend; and I managed to get myself a little stomach virus, which hit me on Monday night. I'm okay now, but it took me out of commission for a couple of days.

Even though I decided not to beat myself up over this lack of progress, I still remain a little disappointed that I have lost one complete week of training. While I did have a lot going on , there were still opportunities to get in some workouts. In order to avoid repeating the same scenario and getting the same feelings of disappointment in the future, I should come up with a better gameplan as far as making sure that my workout schedule meshes well with the other things that I need to do. A good example is... Saturday, Sunday, and Monday... my dad did not need my help until about 9am. I could have gotten up a little earlier and had a good run on any one of these days, but I chose to sleep in an extra hour.

It is time to get back into gear. The 10K is far away... so far that I can not see it. So, I am going to sign up for a 3M or a 5K in July so that I have something in the near future that I can see. It should motivate me to get myself on track, in theory. I will sign up for the next race before my next post. I will let you know which one it is then. Since my stomach is still a little off, I am not going to run today. Instead I will walk for about a mile or so. And then I will pick up where I left off tomorrow...

Gameplan for the next three days:
  • Friday = Upper-body workout
  • Saturday = One mile run at 8:00 pace
  • Sunday = Two mile run at 9:00 pace
I will do better this time... I promise. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. yeah it's easy to get sidetracked...especially when running is not a daily ritual. I think it's easy as well if life gets in the way to get discouraged if you don't have the time or the energy to do the workout you set for yourself --- but something is definitely better than nothing...ie. going for a walk if you really can't hack a run. keep up the good work!! maybe i'll run the next couple races with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Best of luck with your training - sometimes it's frustrating, but worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, here's the thing I've discovered: A LOT. A TON. of running publications talk about using the weekends for your long runs and how great weekend runs are.

    Umm..if you like to be social on the weekends...not so much. I'll workout before I go out. Not the morning after. And long runs are a week night thing for me. It's really about finding what works for you.

    I also do a lot of runs on the treadmill because it allows me to watch TV. Not sure what you're watching but this works for sports.

    ReplyDelete